A positive attitude enables you to cope with the affairs of daily life more easily. You become more optimistic making it easier for you to avoid worries and negative thinking. Adopting it as a way of life, will bring about huge and constructive changes into your life. It will make you happier, brighter and more successful. After all who wants to be near a whiner!
With a positive attitude you see the bright side of life, you are optimistic, and expect the best to happen. It is definitely a state of mind that is worth developing.
Tips for developing a positive attitude:
- Good Thoughts: Those with a good attitude control their thoughts and keep them positive. This influences the outcome of all activities. If you think you can succeed you will succeed.
- Self-Assurance: Those with a good attitude know their own capabilities. A characteristic of their good attitude is that they are realistic.
- Positive Comments: Comments influence attitude. When you make appreciative and good comments, you bring about a positive attitude both in yourself and those around you.
- Gratitude: A characteristic of a positive outlook to life is to be grateful for the benefits you possess. This attitude nurtures the hope that you have more good things to look forward to.
- Clear Goals: Another characteristic of a good attitude is about knowing what you want. By deciding on set goals, those with a good attitude de-clutter their minds and allow themselves to focus on what it is they must do to get to where they want.
A few tips to anchor the thought of positivity in you:
- Reflect on 3 positives: Daily at the end of the day, make a list of three specific good things that happened to you or that you observed. Reflect on what caused them to happen. The good things could be anything — completing all work you had planned for the day, accidentally meeting an old friend, a positive remark from someone at work, a pretty sunset, anything.
Celebrate them. Celebrating small wins has the effect of powering motivation and igniting joy. The habit of reflecting upon and reviewing or recording your good things daily, will enable you to feel better about yourself and about things happening around. It’s a habit that will keep you positive and happy.
- Thank someone (daily):Take a minute to say thanks, appreciate someone for their efforts, recognise the help given by friends, family and people at work. It can be the guard who opens the gate with a smile and a greeting, your old school teacher, whose advice you are following and appreciating every day. Share your appreciation with a Thank you.
- Do something nice:Have you felt happy after doing a good deed? One way to boost your happiness is by doing acts of kindness. Something as small and simple as making someone smile goes a long way in raising your attitude. It paves the way for better collaboration and good relationships. Do something nice like spending some time chatting with a friend, buying someone a coffee. Actually write this down on to your to do list. Ensure you do something nice for someone every day.
- Mind your mind: Imagine a world that is inclusive, where there is acceptance of people and customs and no judgement! Mindfulness is paying attention to the present moment without judgment. But how do we achieve this? Pay attention or rather take the time to observe. Be kind on yourself, treat yourself like you would treat a good friend. Be conscious of the present. Take in positive thoughts and weed out the negatives. When we are conscious and aware of things around us, we’ll be more balanced and aligned to the external forces, we’ll move towards positivity.
By adopting the right attitude, you stand to gain in many, many ways. The most vital one is that it will make You feel happier. When you feel happier, you feel more confident and everything in life seems far more achievable. This in turn has a huge impact on your career and your life.
So, consider focussing on the good things, having an attitude of gratitude. You’ll find that your life becomes simpler, there will be many to collaborate and you’ll move forward more smoothly. Make it a habit to be positive. You have everything to gain!